|The GSMA Mobile Money Certifications is a global initiative to bring safer, more transparent, and more resilient financial services to millions of mobile money users around the world. It is the only certification scheme that is designed specifically for mobile money.
While GSMA owns the assessment criteria, the scheme is managed by Alliances Management – an independent certification management company, responsible for singing off and awarding the certificate.
The GSMA Mobile Money Certification defines and promotes excellence in the provision of mobile money services. It is based on independent assessments of an operator’s ability to deliver secure and reliable services, to protect the rights of consumers and to combat money laundering and the financing of terrorism.
The Certification will help to:
- Enhance consumer trust
- Improve the quality of services and customer satisfaction and assure customers that their rights are protected
- Accelerate commercial partnerships among business partners and merchants and facilitate the implementation of trusted partnerships
- Set a public bar to which all providers can aspire to
- Enhance trust with regulators and encouraging the implementation of appropriate and proportional regulatory standards
All mobile money operators (MMOs), whether they are a mobile network operator, a bank or an ‘over-the-top’ provider meeting the following criteria:
- The service includes transferring money and making payments using the mobile phone
- The service must be available to the unbanked, e.g. people who do not have access to a formal account at a financial institution
- The service must oﬀer at least one of the following products:
- Domestic or international transfer
- Mobile payment, including bill payment, bulk disbursement, and merchant payment
- Storage of value
How it works?
In order to become certified, Mobile Money Providers are assessed against global industry best practice, and a pass mark of 100% is required. The GSMA Certification has a 3-year validity.
The process to get certified is simple and easy and available on the GSMA Mobile Money Certification webpage. MFR is in charge of the certification assessment and assessment report phases.
The final result depends on the compliance with the Certification principles and final notification issued by the Mobile Money Secretariat, represented by the Scheme Operator.